Janet's Jargon

Fun lifestyles, charitable acts, great fiction, author support, Patrick and Grace Mysteries, Keith clan trilogy,

Thursday, January 14, 2010

Sometimes being a Christian is downright embarrassing

I am a Christian. I believe in the saving power of Jesus Christ. I am not ashamed to admit that. I hope and pray that those who see and witness my life can recognize the importance of my faith to me in my daily life.

And then along comes somebody who claims to be a Christian and who has a much larger following than I can ever hope to have that just blows my mind with a thoughtless, careless comment. Such is the case with Pat Robertson's remarks about the devastation in Haiti. Not since he remarked a couple of years ago that he thought that the American government should assassinate Venezuela President Hugo Chavez have I been so outraged--and so embarrassed by someone who so boldly claims to represent the God I love and serve. I will put the comments he made at the end of this post.

Meanwhile, please rest assured, our brothers and sisters in Haiti, that you are in our thoughts, our prayers, and our hearts. I lived through the horrendous flood in Grand Forks back in 1997, and one of our sons lived through Hurricane Katrina in New Orleans. I know a miniscule bit of what you are feeling. These are the feelings of the majority of the Christian people around the world.

My mind goes to the passage in the Bible where somebody asked Jesus, "Who sinned that this has befallen this man, the man himself, or his father?" And Jesus replied, "No one, but that the Father might be glorified." How can God be glorified in such a situation as faces the people of Haiti? I have no idea, but somehow, with each miraculous person that is rescued, I think God is glorified.

Here is what Pat Robertson said. and Mr. Robertson, from my part, you should be ashamed of yourself.

Americans United for Separation of Church and State today condemned TV preacher and Religious Right leader Pat Robertson for blaming the devastating earthquake in Haiti on the Haitian people’s alleged pact with Satan.

On his Christian Broadcasting Network’s “700 Club” today, Robertson said the Haitians “swore a pact to the devil” in order to become free of French domination.

“They said, ‘we will serve you if you will get us free from the French,’” Robertson asserted. “True story. And so, the devil said, ‘okay it's a deal.’ And they kicked the French out. You know, the Haitians revolted and got themselves free. But ever since, they have been cursed by one thing after the other.”

Labels: , , , ,

13 Comments:

  • At 9:56 AM, Blogger Lynn McMonigal said…

    WOW! I'd not heard that he said that. All I've been hearing about here are the Christian organizations and missionaries who are moblizing to help in Haiti. I thank God that there are more willing to help than willing to pass the blame!

     
  • At 10:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Statements like that should anger all Christians. It never fails that when something like that is said it is done by someone who supposedly represents Christians en masse. (sp?) But there will always be people like that. There are also always people like us who will stand and dispute this stupidity.

     
  • At 10:24 AM, Blogger The Belle in Blue said…

    This is why I have no use for organized religion. I am a Christian who loves God and Jesus, but I can't abide hypocrites and money-hungry opportunists.

    I try to live by the question "What would Jesus do?" and I don't think Robertson or his ilk has a clue.

     
  • At 10:38 AM, Blogger Robin Bayne said…

    That was so inappropriate and unkind.

     
  • At 11:52 AM, Blogger Jay Hudson said…

    Sometimes I watch The 700 club, but I am mindful of the fact that it is just ENTERTAINMENT only. Pat Robertson is simply a slick "snake-oil-salesman" who tapped into the hunger people have for "something" to believe in.His enterprise is simply a family business.Would his son really be able to find a job in legitimate corporate America?Maybe-maybe not.
    Did Richard Roberts take over the Oral Roberts Empire.I practice my Dad's version of Christianity,"go into thye closet to pray,and you shall know the tree by the fruit it bears."
    Jay Hudson
    Jay's Writer's World

     
  • At 12:32 PM, Blogger WillowMorningsky said…

    Another sensitive and excellently presented post, Janet. And this is exactly why, when I was raised as a Presbyterian, on being asked if I am a Christian, I reply, "No, I live by the Teachings of Christ."

    Thank you for this heart-touching post, Janet.

    Willow

     
  • At 1:39 PM, Anonymous Karen Kay said…

    A very wise man once said, "On the day when we can truly trust one another, there will be peace on earth." L. Ron Hubbard.

    Very enlightening post, Janet. Thanks for sharing it.

     
  • At 3:50 PM, Blogger Alice Duncan said…

    I think Robertson ought to look up that part of the Bible that tells us we aren't the judges. Not a day goes by when I'm not grateful I don't have to judge my fellow beings, and that God will do that. If I were the judge, there would be a lot fewer Robertsons running around loose and creating hate and havoc on this earth.

     
  • At 8:43 PM, Blogger Joyce Anthony said…

    Well-written post, Janet. The comment was not something anyone should say about anyone. While I believe he is a complete jerk, I, as a child of God, do not believe a mere human can speak for me--or all Chrisians. Do not be embarassed for him--it is his soul that will need to answer for his remarks.

     
  • At 8:25 AM, Anonymous Nina M. Osier said…

    I read that, too, Janet, and it made me feel so sad. We know that these words don't express the teachings of Jesus, but so many people don't know that. All they know of Christianity is what they hear from the mouths of those who profess, and what they see such people do.

    Thank you for this important post!

     
  • At 9:35 AM, Blogger Paul Petrucci said…

    Janet, I agree with your thoughts. The history of the organized Christian religions (well, I guess I'm thinking mostly of the Catholic religion, which is the one I'm most familiar with), is one that shows acts and opinions in 180-degree contradiction to the teachings of Jesus.

    Religious leaders like Pat Robertson and many of today's political leaders are leading people to the fringes of reason and temperament. It's very discouraging. I'm sure those fringes were always there, but they seem to have a collective voice that didn't exist before. Let's try not to judge them, as time and history will do that for us.

     
  • At 6:23 PM, Blogger Molly Swoboda said…

    Perhaps Robertson will eventually become a beneficiary of the scripture you quoted, Janet. If not, perhaps his only hope is to take up football or late-night television comedy. Good article! ~Molly

     
  • At 8:14 AM, Blogger Barbara said…

    Pat Robertson discredited himself long ago even according to Scripture (Deut. 18). Al Mohler, president of Southern Baptist Theological Seminary in Louisville, KY, had a very good counter to Robertson's claim here: http://www.albertmohler.com/2010/01/14/does-god-hate-haiti/

    It's unfortunate that there are so many who profess to be Christians yet profane the name of God through clear rejection of the grace and truth of the Scripture. And yet, even that same amazing grace shines through in Ezekiel 36 with the New Covenant promise of the coming Messiah - though they profane His name, He will reclaim it and prove Himself holy through them....by redeeming them with a new birth.

    We can only pray that Pat Robertson will be granted the gift of the grace of repentance.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home