Janet's Jargon

Fun lifestyles, charitable acts, great fiction, author support, Patrick and Grace Mysteries, Keith clan trilogy,

Monday, August 08, 2005

Reflections on a good man

The world of journalism, television and good people will be missing one of its greats, in my opinion, with the death of Peter Jennings.

When I think of him, I see him at the beginning of the Iraq war. With tears in his eyes he told one of the reporters who was out in the streets there, "If you see that you are in danger, go in where it's safe. I don't care if we don't have any news to report." That, to me, was the ultimate classy reaction for a major newsmaker who had been in danger himself countless times.

No matter how harsh the news was that he reported, I don't recall him ever saying anything harsh or judgmental about any of them. I'm sure he felt it many times, but he never let it show. His warmth and affection for both his job and the people he worked with was what showed through. Peter, you will be missed!

I can't help but smile when I think of the space shuttle's landing being delayed a day. It is like the Universe is looking down and saying, "Hold off a day. Today is Peter's day."
Janet


www.janetelainesmith.com
www.janetelainesmith.blogspot.com
http://meetmondayknight.tripod.com

1 Comments:

  • At 10:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i think it was very touching to read and very heartfelt.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home