Janet's Jargon

Fun lifestyles, charitable acts, great fiction, author support, Patrick and Grace Mysteries, Keith clan trilogy,

Thursday, October 13, 2005

Somebody's knocking!

There are all sorts of "knocking" ditties: songs, knock-knock jokes, and even movies. I have never been able to figure out why my husband asks me "Who's there" when somebody knocks at the door or "Who's that" when the phone rings.

Yesterday afternoon I was in the back rooom and Ivan was in the living room when there was a knock on the door. I heard him call out "Just a minute" and then his wheelchair went over to the door. There appeared to be nobody there, so he went back to his computer. In a few minutes, there was another knock on the door. He again went to see who wsa there. He thought maybe some of the kids in the neighborhood were playing tricks on him. Again, he saw nobody. Then he saw the visitor.

Several years ago we started to feed the squirrels who inhabit our trees. We put out an assortment of nuts, but our northern furry critters apparently don't have as tough a teeth as their southern cousins. Ivan decided to try some salted peanuts. Well, they were an instant hit!

But back to the mysterious visitor. He saw the squirrel scurry down the railing on the ramp, off into the spot where we put the nuts. He called me, and I came and fed the little guy. This afternoon we had a repeat performance. When I didn't come fast enough for him, he began scavanging around in the leaves that had fallen onto the ramp. He's the most impatient little critter! I guess I'll have to make sure they are loaded for him. Last winter he chewed through the electrical wires to the car a couple of times. Believe me, peanuts are a whole lot cheaper.

It makes me think of the verse in the Bible that says "Beware, lest you entertain angels unaware." Hmmm! Does God sometimes send angels as squirrels. Now I KNOW I have to keep feeding him. Besides, he is cute!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home